April 15, 2008

hear what you say

Didn't you all grow up feeling really special
when your mom or dad would utter...
sweetly under their breath
or as a whisper in your ear...
sometimes even with a roll of their eyes
because they had given up a bit
the best
three words
a child could ever hear ?
~No~
not "I love you"
although that's nice, too
but sometimes used too often
~~~~~
What I'm talking about is even better
and as a parent myself
I remember when my kids were little
and I would take their hand in mine
and I could see
the light in their big eyes looking up at me~
and feel
the softness in their souls~
and I would melt
in the tiny upward curve of their lips~
when I would quietly say those three words
"just this once"
~~~~~
and it was like we had just shared something magical
because as a child
"no"
is so often heard
but if it is replaced by
"just this once"
then you have just
said something
that someone
will remember
forever

3 comments:

  1. You are so right. Those are special words that make anything feel like a forbidden pleasure. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true. That's really lovely -- and I remember that as well. Takes me back! Just this once. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!
    This is so it.
    I had just such a day with my son, moments of just this once. It was magical.

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth