December 18, 2012

indoor lighting, ugh and cuteness overload.....


some very dear friends came to visit us last night and this is their adorable daughter.


she entertained us all night long.


to say that i hate indoor lighting is an understatement, but since i'm a natural light photographer i have to suck it up and just make it work. the only really good way to deal with it {and what keeps me halfway sane} is knowing that i can tweak most of the horrible lighting issues in lightroom 3.



seriously people, i can't even begin to tell you how horrible my original photos looked. most of these photos were taken around 7pm, with just canned lighting above us and a few lamps off to the sides. my ISO was usually on 1600 or 3200 and i overexposed the photos by 2 steps.


unfortunately with overhead lighting you tend to get horrible shadows and it's usually next to impossible to get any catch light in your subject's eyes. if you do get some, especially on a moving target like a two year old, it's usually just luck.




i'm showing both of these black and white family photos to show you the differences in editing. the top one is a little bit blown out or brighter and the bottom one is a more natural black and white. when you're editing, make sure to play around a bit and if you're not quite sure, make multiple black and white edits and decide which one you like best once you can put them side by side.





this photos melts my heart. that's my son sitting there with her. oh gosh, too sweet !


thanks E and D and L for playing with us last night. we loved having you here.
*


23 comments:

  1. Your photos are wonderful, especially considering the lighting as you say. Great editing. She is a real cutie. I really like the coloured ones as all the tomes are earthy anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on hating indoor lighting for photography. LR has saved me many times over. Shooting in raw is helpful, too. These are beautiful photos and so perfectly processed. Gorgeous family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little one ... she is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. with such an adorable subject, getting good photos shouldn't be too hard :-) Funny, with the two comparison photos of the family, I thought the first one was processed, the second the "before" shot :-) One of the problems with black and white is that so often its not really black and white, is it, but shades of grey? Your pictures here are so beautiful, especially the close-up shots. Frame-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is like a little angel. Such amazing smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your talent shows in all the photographs you took, Beth and it really helps when you have such a sweetheart posing for you xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indoor lighting is so tricky...but I think you nailed these shots. And I love the last photo...my goodness those eyes!!! wow...

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is gorgeous! Your photos are amazing. I really struggle with indoor photography. Thanks always for your tips. I am just touching on retouching photos and love learning how to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you know it with the indoor night lighting...ugh!! But what I can see these are just beautiful. She is a doll baby, I can see how you were entertained the entire evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What, don't you have any unattractive friends?
    This little girl....Beth I swear I scrolled up and down and up and down, she - is - GORGEOUS.

    I narrowed the best down to #6 and #10. But then decided. It's number 10. Just look at that face.

    Your photography is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is just the kind of cuteness overload we need right now. i am smiling. how could i not? xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Beth, great photo's...Love the eyes and her precious face. I also agree..cuteness overload is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that the little one enjoyed hanging out with Jack ! So cute.
    You are awesome, Miss Beth ! Gorgeous working with what you got !

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did an excellent job! Wow! I have never figured out the flash and rarely like what it does to my photos, but no light doesn't help either. Bravo to you for overcoming with such bravado!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My teeth ache from her sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would have never known from the images that you had any trouble at all with the light. They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What Kate said.. beautiful, especially love the second to last.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are precious and to know that you shot everything with yucky indoor lighting.... Well! That just goes to show that with the right attitude and software (and creativity) you can achieve beautiful results. Thanks for showing the two black and whites side-by-side.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SHE IS ADORABLE! That last shot is just too much...

    I absolutely hate indoor lighting but I do not know my camera enough to work with the settings ESPECIALLY with the indoor lighting. I might have to check out that program.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, these pictures made me smile. I've been missing my blog-hopping habit and I wanted to stop by and say, "Hello, friend. Merry Christmas."

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really nice photos Beth. She's such a cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth