August 3, 2009

seriously, how lucky can I get....

I spent my morning yesterday
on another senior photo shoot
she came to me from a town 45 minutes south of here
where obviously they raise dolls

all natural laugh

she was so nervous and scared and with little self confidence
telling me immediately that she takes awful photos
and
has never liked one photo of herself


senior photo and beautiful enough to be an international model

I told her she was beautiful
and
that the above photo I could submit to a magazine

the temperature was fabulous
but
the wind was a nightmare
and
we fought it the entire two hours we were outside
I took her to places that were
buggy and stinky and dirty
and
she questioned each place we stopped
which me giggle inside
on this bike trail we just about got killed by a biker going way too fast
who told me next time I'm there I better have a sign warning those coming around the bend
~damn~she was right~
sometimes the round walls covering up where the garbage dumpsters hide
make for an interesting shot but still don't keep out the twirling winds
and
sunday mornings are a great time to shoot since the public places
didn't have any people in them yet
I'm more of a rustic photographer
but these hostas screamed at me
"give us a chance"
so I did
the backdrop for here and the truck above is from an old grain mill
and
did it stink and was it gross and were there flies everywhere
~yep~
but hey
sometimes you do what you got to do
this doll is just too beautiful to not smile
but I always like to have a few serious photos
and
she said "I can't do this, I look angry and mean"
so
I told her to smile with her eyes
and
I think she pulled it off
and
our last place of the day was a dumpy old car lot
where she was scared thinking that someone would ask us to leave
and
I told her I trespass all the time
and
when she saw the "no trespassing" sign
I asked her if she wanted to be a rebel like me and she smiled and walked over to this box
and
right when she sat down on it
it cracked and broke a little right from underneath her
and
fortunately I caught the look in her eyes and a very real surprised smile
right before she fell a little bit
~she didn't get hurt you silly ones that are thinking that~
and
when we left
I think she was finally trusting me
*
remember you can click on the smaller photos if you want to see them better

26 comments:

  1. Stunning. I especially love the photo where she has her arms folded. You have a great eye for composition Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, your personality, your supportive nature, your intrepid spirit, are exactly what these young ones need in order to have the truth of them captured for an image.

    I bet you collect the most lightening bugs in your jar, too, dontcha?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I love the rustic scenes, you would be so much fun for them, you can just tell. They all turned out beautiful. I don't think it is luck, you got something going on girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful girl and kudos to YOU for capturing it so very well. I love the grunge pictures- the textures are great! I think you have found your niche- your personality is just what that age needs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey ! Not only are you giving her the gift of some fantastic shots of her self, but also the gift of liking herself more and trusting in her own beauty ! Now that is one cool job you have there, Beth ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has the prettiest warmest smile! Using the old truck was a wonderful background and the cement wall with the millions of stones as well. But I do like the portrait of her face when she isn't smiling the best somehow. She has lovely eyes and you captured a lot of youthful innocence right there in that shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a fun shoot good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beth, she is stunningly beautiful! my fav is the no trespassing sign...she will always remember you and this time spent with her! and you might have given her the courage to take some risks...xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are unbelievably awesome! Love how you took her to new places! Perfect! (This is Jeanie Gypsy but I'm not logged on, so I guess I'm anonymous for now! Having a good time on holiday -- sort of, Rick's trade show -- and will have to catch up on the rest later!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos! It looks like she was having a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh she is a doll! But I bet you make it easy to be the subject of a photographer, just a feeling I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you got some fantastic shots in there!! she is suh a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photographs you are very talented! She has a beautiful smile.

    LUCY

    ReplyDelete
  14. You take the greatest photos! I meant to comment on those other beautiful senior photos you posted too. I love how they do not look like the typical senior photo shoot! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If only we were closer I would have you take my baby's senior pics. I'm taking her out to get some really cool images rather than just the boring cap n'gown and drape. You would have been perfect to set her at ease, and you take pictures like a dream.

    This girl is absolutely beautiful, and I'm so happy she trusted you with her images.

    :-)

    (((HUGS))),
    me

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool beans, Beth!!

    See...now THAT is how a senior pic should look. I dislike the fake silly ones I see too often here. I bet she doesn't issue the 'never liked' statement again after seeing these!

    Rock on!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the round walls! way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the last picture...she looks gorgeous in every one of them. It is hard for these kids to get up in front of a camera and "pretend" to be natural. You do a great job of relaxing them and making the real smiles come out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am absolutely certain you changed that "no good pictures of me" thing. Forever. WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so great! She is going to be thrilled! And yes, she is a doll!
    How fun, I am longing to photograph a girl, probably because I am surrounded by boys all of the time. I love the rustic backdrops!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Two words-- KNOCK OUT!!!! She is stunning and could be in any magazine on the market today! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, her eyes, her eyes!
    Your use of the rustic and aged just blow me away! You could go crazy here in my neck of the woods! We have people stopping to take pictures on the railroad tracks at the end of our driveway, all the time. The old Shaker Village down the road is just waiting to take you back in time. If you ever get the urge to photograph Kentucky, this is a good starting place! Come on down, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've outdone yourself again Beth. And you're right she is beautiful. If only she'd believed it herself. But I'll guess if she sees this photo's she change her feelings positively.

    ReplyDelete
  24. beth, this is your specialty. these are beautiful. what a pretty girl she is, too. she must be so pleased with how these all turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the lines in the second shot! Hands down, my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  26. She is beautiful and I think you gave her the confidence to know that!

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth