September 28, 2010

can i see some identification please.....

while claire was visiting
we did what i do best and what she also really wanted to do
trespass
~
well, not really trespass on purpose, but instead take photos of an incredible old house and its outbuildings, where a no trespassing sign hangs. well, we got caught. the first sheriff on the scene tried to be all bad ass on us, but once he checked my license and her passport and found there weren't any warrants out for our arrest, he loosened up and said the property's been vacant for over 20 years and that he hasn't a clue to who owns it. this in a sleepy little town of about 38 people. go figure.
~
but
the second sheriff on the scene was a hoot and we talked to him after the first one left. he loves photography and even had all of his equipment with him. he had just gotten back from the grand tetons, for the "soul" purpose of taking pictures, telling us how much we would love that area. then he shared his map and pointed out another little sleepy town he thought we would love if we wanted to add that to our morning outing.
~
the rifle hanging right above his head was huge
but he sure seemed like a puppy dog to us. if only he had been the first one to find us. then the three of us could have had an amazing photo shoot, while basically being protected while we trespassed. now that's a photographer's dream.
prior to
"i'll never forget this trip to the states"
here's claire's trip in a line up. get it. line up. police humor.
~
1. arrives without keys to get into her locked suitcases, so john breaks them open with plier like wire cutters and laughter.
2. we went to 2 farmer's markets and bought kettle corn and fingerling potatoes.
3. anthropologie made us drool. we bought a few things and even sneakingly took more photos on my camera phone which is against the store policy. we are bad asses i tell you.
4. her lunch at one of my favorite spots was scrambled eggs with sun dried tomatoes, arugula and feta cheese. i had the shitake soup and salad. we ate and talked for hours.
5. off we ran to the pumpkin patch, after grabbing my daughter, since this was something she had never seen before. and wow, did we learn about pumpkins.
6. a stop at the local market for cheese curds...once again, a new food.
7. home for grilled burgers made by my hubby, who was a saint and did everything for us while claire was visiting, but not before munching on the kettle corn and cheese curds. the dinner included the fingerling potatoes so she could taste how we make them in a frying pan.
8. i had the privilege after dinner of seeing her gorgeous wedding photos
9. bed
*
DAY TWO
1. we got caught trespassing at 10 am. whatever.
2. off to the most incredible flea market that claire said was better than any she had ever seen before and this girl has traveled.
3. we met up with adorable georgia, who has a birthday coming up the end of this week and who looks {seriously} ten years younger than she is.
~
then came the hugs and the laughter and photos and jewelry buying and jumbo hot dog eating and more buying and laughing and oohing and ahhing. acutually there was so much oohing and ahhing. and "if i only had room for that" and "those are my colors" and "that is so you"
~
when the market was over, we headed to culvers. i had to make sure that claire got to taste fried cheese curds and frozen custard before she left. so we ate and laughed some more. talked about favorite movies and so much more. and then tearfully i said good bye. i had met georgia last year and since she lives close by, i know i can honestly see her anytime i want and which i really need to make a point of doing. but claire. well now it's my turn. i will see her again. i will go to south africa. yes, she's currently living in ireland, but after everything we talked about, south africa is calling my name.

34 comments:

  1. is your next post going to be of you in a mug shot:) sounds like you guys had a great time!
    kt

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my. you are too funny. what a fabulous weekend, every minute of it sounds perfect, and i can just see you two, sitting there, waiting for the sheriff to check your backgrounds...
    and seriously, i can just imagine the photos you will take in South Africa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like the fabulous time that you knew you would have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so much fun! I love the fact that Sheriff II was a photo fan! I've had fun with my friend Suzanne sneaking into theatres that way -- old, beautiful, abandoned ones. What're they going to do if they catch you? Kill you? Probably not! And oh, the stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting time was had by all
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha...sounds like a great weekend!
    And who doesn`t like a sheriff run in or 2:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exploring, eating, shopping, talking - sounds like a perfect visit! (Oh, almost forgot - getting arrested...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was the second one Officer Friendly? If you don't mind, can you point me back to your post on Aperture Priority? I browsed without finding it, but can't remember how far back it was. There's someone I want to give the link to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your friend will have much to talk about when she arrives home. LOL. From the photo the house looks like it was worth the near arrest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trespassing on old property sounds so fun. I've only done it a few times. Wish I had access to more places like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unforgettable trip is right! What a delightful few days you had...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheese curds...lol...only in WI!!! Sounds like a blast Beth. Love the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are these all off the "cuffs" comments? Well you can´t blame a guy for trying, sounds like you both had a fantastic time and the tales will get better with age (a bit like myself?).

    ReplyDelete
  14. cheese curds...must be a wisconsin thing! sounds like a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like the perfect girlfriend weekend! So glad you had so much joy. And love that you introduced her to so much local fare!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanna have this kinda fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What total fun, all of it including the visit with the police officers. I love adventures like you had. Fascinating, fried curds, wish I had explored the food more when I was in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. AWESOME!!! Hey, how come you didn't almost get me arrested? Haahaa!! I'm so so glad to see South Africa come back into the picture again. Hugs dearest Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous time you had and thanks so much for sharing it!! Too bad you didn't get arrested...just think of all the photo ops! Ha!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love you. I love trespassing. I love sundried tomatoes and Saintly husbands. I wanna go to S. Africa with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. p.s. I think I love Claire too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ah, beth
    this is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh you gave me a much needed chuckle... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. beth and claire talking photography with the law..made my day..so happy that you had so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A very long blog, and a very interesting one. I like the bw of you two. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hugs and hugs and more hugs.

    i am still soaking in the memories.

    definitely filed in my best moments folders.

    thank you for being you and for having me.

    it was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  27. beth.
    you are wonderful.
    i feel so honored to have been a part of your time with claire.
    thank you from the bottom of my heart for inviting me.

    i LOVE the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a hoot, you had a ball all the more exciting for the police showing up ha ha! sounds just like something i would get into with my twins, they lead me astray and me them.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a terrific story and post. To be in kahoots with those that you were. To dream of travelling as you are...and to have a kindred soul in photography with the (second) sheriff. Oh, the being stopped by the first one is so funny, being with an "alien" at the time! What a hoot! Life really is stranger than fiction, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  30. You had the best visit ever! And with the police helping you out! (Glad you avoided hard time for that crime.)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey you, gladd to hear you all had sooo much fun. Thank you so much for sharing.
    And South Africa uh...that's my side of the ocean,.... to make a pitstop over here...;-)) would love to have you.

    Wonderful hugs D.

    ReplyDelete
  32. love this story! and it's so nice to see the actual photos :)

    xo, juliette

    ReplyDelete
  33. Now THAT is the way to get caught! lol!
    I was wondering when it was going to finally happen, you rebel trespasser you!

    Sounds like such a great time.
    Can I come over?

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth