September 12, 2012

my family was killed by pigeons......




sometimes i'm really picky with what i photograph. especially while i'm on "vacation." 
there's always that fine line of photographing everything i see, or really living in the moments that present themselves to me. on this trip, i was living more for the moments than anything else.


it had been awhile since my hubby and i had been away by ourselves and i have to say, we really soaked up our time together. like a mini honeymoon, but better. better by the fact that we've been married almost twenty eight years, together more than thirty and we're head over heels in love with each other. i know that sounds mushy and some of you are gagging, but it's true. we love being each others best friend and now with the kids out of the house, the distractions are fewer and we've really been using this time to get to know each other again. it's been amazing.


while in chicago, on every block and every corner, especially on michigan avenue, 
we saw street performers {jugglers, saxophone players and balloon artists} 
and homeless people everywhere. 
this guys music was awful, but he had the best sign without question. 
he made me smile. i gave him some money.


everywhere we walked, we walked hand in hand. my hubby would say it's because he loves me so much. honestly, i know it's due to the fact that when i'm in a new place, i tend to look at and watch everything and that his hand holding is keeping me protected and on track. 
seriously, those crowded corners and cross walks can be dangerous. 
especially if you have a bit of attention deficit disorder. and a camera.


this month, the theme for our local photography group is "landscape" and on a normal basis, i don't really shoot landscapes. i even told everyone that at our meeting last week. so just in case our organizer is reading this post {hi adam} i tried really hard to take "landscape" photos just to show him i've been doing my homework.




i still have a few more chicago photos i'll share, but it's time to get down to business.
i have a senior photo shoot to edit and his yearbook selection is due this friday.
concentrate beth. concentrate.

31 comments:

  1. You and your husband sound like the perfect match. What a sweet vision and glimpse of your life. Love all the shots, but especially the vintage Singers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hopped over here from Gail Dixon's blog and was delighted with the gorgeous pics of Chicago. I live in a suburb of Chicago so I oh so appreciate your obvious love of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at the title of this post...and kept laughing as I read through to find out what on earth you were talking about! What an inventive sign...his music may have been "eh" but he managed to get your attention. Love it!

    These are stunning photographs...you do landscape quite well ... especially with someone holding your hand to keep you on your feet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand completely. Last week I photographed everything in sight. Now I'm back to my normal what is interesting to me. Enno also holds my hand so I wont't trip always looking around. Great trip you had. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sign is seriously priceless :) Your love story is something I aspire to have in a way unique to Superman and I. Honored you choose to share that intimate part of your life with us~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words and images are combined delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes... having a camera in one's possession does tend to give a girl attention deficit disorders. Happens to me all the... 'oh would you look at that!'. *wanders off to snap photo*

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some great photos - Chicago is a great city to walk around, any time of year. There is always something interesting going on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this post. The picture of the sewing machines is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaah, love. Very sweet and romantic, Beth! I love Chicago.... Now I really miss it. Your photos are so beautiful and capture the spirit. I feel all emotional...smoosh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a wonderful post!! I'm so happy to read that you're still so in love after all of these years and having an empty nest really is a test of a relationship. It sounds like you're passing the test with flying colors!!! Wonderful photos as usual!!!! : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have given him some money too. The best one I saw was on my way home. It read: why lie? need money for beer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely wonderful images, Beth. And I love the story about your husband holding your hand to keep you on track and safe.
    OMG - each image is just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sign is hilarious. Just for being different he deserved the money.
    And hand holding, always good. Enjoy, but look both ways when crossing the street.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Priceless sign! Sad that in this day and age people whatever their circumstance, live on the street.

    On a positive note, its poetry to read the bond you share with that special person in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the ferris wheel photo!!! sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  17. tell Adam, these are cityscapes ..

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you ended your post with a photo of those pigeons...are they the killer ones?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pictures are jaw dropping.
    And I esp. like the one of the pigeons.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your landscape photos here. You always delight and make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's pretty awesome that you are still so in love after all these years. It's rare, and I know you cherish it...

    Oh, to be able to leave that camera at home and just live in the moment! I ALWAYS see things I want to photograph!!.. It's a blessing and a curse!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love the sewing machine photo! And the sign. Yes, I would have given him money, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. watch out for those pigeons! yikes...

    you are so funny. i love that you and your husband are still all mushy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you guys had a great lovey dovey time!!!
    That sign really was awesome!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am not gagging, I'm totally happy for you. It's the same way with me and my husband these days and I'm loving it! Thanks for all the Chicago shots, by the way. Love that sign!! I'd love to know the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful time together, and you got some amazing photographs!
    I absolutely LOVE the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. loved this....esp that ferris wheel:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your Chicago shots, but my favorite is the one of the window full of sewing machines. My mom and grandmother were seamstresses. It made me think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sweet to read about your wonderful relationship with your husband...I think I will make my husband hold my hand the next time we are out and about:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I did indeed read this one ;) Great job capturing the feel of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  31. His sign is making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

**I love reading the comments you leave, as they make me feel like we're sitting in my kitchen, having a cup of tea, discussing life and wondering where all the time has gone ...beth